Thursday, September 28, 2006

Globber Award in the Verbal Linguistic Category Goes To . . .

. . . and the Globber Award for best sentences in the Verbal-Linguistic Category goes to. . .
Well, you have to read first to find out who the lucky person is.

These are only suggested answers to Wednesday's assigment.
There are many more in last Wednesday's comment section.




fiddle
(conj. & v.) regarding speculation on the result of an action about to be undertaken I wonder fiddle work when I try to post my pictures today with Globber.

griyuts (n.) coarsely ground corn or wheat
My recipe for garlic cheese griyuts was popular.

hominy (adv. & adj.) an aid to arithmetic
By adding two and two, yew find out hominy yew got.


idnit (v. & adv. & pro.) contraction for id not it
Idnit a pirate flag flyin' up thar?

For more Red Neck words, check them out on our previous assignments.

I apologize for all the words being discombobulated (is that a word?), around the picture, but I've not figured out how to make them appear the way they look when I save my draft. Globber always makes the final decision.

And now, the Globber Award for best sentence in the Verbal-Linguistic category goes to (drum roll)
. . . well, there are three (3) winners. They are:

Pam who incorporated all the vocabulary words into a story:
I used your first word in a recent post and title, 'cause I do like to fiddle fart around some. And I don't eat griyts no matter hominy times you tell me it's made outa corn ! Idnit amazin' how some folks get so dang pickey 'bout food?

SillyHily didn't look at anyone's paper before tunning in her assignment. Besides, she thought this was fun. (Going for a Teacher's Pet Award ?)Her sentences were:
1) Honey, my car is making a funny noise. Why don't you go fiddle with it and see if you can fix it?
2) I would rather not eat griyuts because by the time I fix them up with butter and sugar, they really aren't that healthy anymore.
3) Hominy licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?
4) Idnit going to be fun to go to the Memphis/UT game on Saturday?

Brian decided to deviate from the obvious answers with his interpretation:
"Nero played his fiddle, while all the idnits ran around looking for water. The local temple gave a hominy while gruiyts from the burning wood floated in the air."
(Clue: Think while Rome burned, the idiots ran for water. The temple gave "prayers" and "embers" from the burning wood.)

All three of you may go here to receive your Glob(e)Award.

The pirate flag was posted in honor of KayrmnR and her celebration of Talk Like a Pirate Day.

What does this Suthern' expression mean?
"Even a blind hog will find an acorn (akurn) once in a while."

Do you have any Suthern' expressions to share?

Question: Has anyone seen the post that on October 1 bloggers' early school year pics are to be posted? I am unable to locate the post where I read that. HELP!

13 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

my dads family hailed from Virginia... then to Missouri.

I'm going to think about this.
I'm sure there were a few he shared with us.

9/28/2006 08:03:00 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Heh! I knew Pam would win. She had too. It was just too clever to be outdone! :)

Sorry... I don't know anything about that early pic post you are asking about. :(

9/28/2006 08:10:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Thought it was: "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while"? Do they not have squirrel's down south? LOL
We use this expression in darts a lot, a really bad shooter always finds a number once in a while.

9/29/2006 04:37:00 AM  
Blogger Minka said...

I always miss all the fun :(
And I donæt have any Southern expressions, what with me living in the North Atlantic :)

I think we have a similar saying in German:
"Ein blindes Huhn fiindet auch mal ein Korn"
Which basically means something like even if you are stupid and not looking, you can get lucky once in a while.
I definately shoudl get soem kinda award for being international?!
You think about it! *grins*

9/29/2006 04:40:00 AM  
Blogger Silly Hily said...

Thank you, thank you very much. Whew, this award is heavy. But really, I'd like to thank the academy.......

I have been known to have a little brown spot on my nose before but it really was fun to do. Can't wait for more.

9/29/2006 05:27:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"Why thank you ever so much", said in my sweetest southern Georgia peach accent! I must confess, that I was proud of myself for using hominy and griyuts and corn in the same sentence...since...hominy is corn!! I guess living in Georgia for 3 years was finally good for something.
Thanks SW!
♥Pam

9/29/2006 05:46:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, BTW, I've heard that expression from my husband who's from Texas, although he says 'a blind squirrel'.
My neighbor from W.Virginny says this all the time,
"well, that's about as useful as a hip pocket on a pig!"
♥Pam

9/29/2006 05:49:00 AM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

I havent any new ones, I grew up in N.MI so the ones Ive had I got from my hubby in Okla.

9/29/2006 07:49:00 AM  
Blogger Silly Hily said...

The little thing you asked about is at the top left of the keyboard, right beside the number 1 key and above the tab key.

I hope you don't mind, but I added you to my roll call today while I was giving my blog a NEW LOOK! I'm so pumped I did it without erasing everything.

9/29/2006 08:02:00 AM  
Blogger Claudia said...

hurrah for Pam! She definitely got it right...
As for brian's response......shudder...and laugh!

9/29/2006 08:05:00 AM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

Hey, I thought that flag looked familiar!!!

9/29/2006 01:58:00 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

Ha, those are funny. I like "Bah" instead of "Bye" & "Yower" instead of "Your".

9/29/2006 02:51:00 PM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

Pamela: Virginny and Misery. I have two friends from both states and that's how they pronounce them.

Gayle: What can I say but Thank you for all you "tootering"...you know what I mean.

Brian: A fugly cousin? And get back here to translate for us, please.

Michelle: I didn't know how to spell s-q-u-i-r-r-e-l so I used pig.

Minka: Even all the way from Iceland you 'hit the nail on the head.' That's exactly what it means.

SillyHily: The brown spot is from all that chocolate from you cookies. Either that, or your roses have wilted and they are brown. Enjoy the glob award. Just don't tie it around your neck.
I found it ~ after you told me where it was. DUH !

Pam: Your peachy accent comes through loud and clear. And yes, it might have been
s-q-u-i-r-r-e-l, but pig is easier to spell.

BarnGoddess: New Mexico is a great place to be from. I'll bet your hubby has quite a few expressions from Oklahoma.

C: Yes, Pam and Brian are stars, along with SillyHily.

Karmyn: I wanted to post the flag on Pirate Day, but Globber wouldn't cooperate.

Prophet: Thanks for visiting. This is your first time, I know, because I would remember that avatar. Are we supposed to rub your belly or what?

9/29/2006 04:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home