Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Yucatan Lime Soup with Chicken




No, this isn't a joke. I'm actually sharing another recipe that several have requested.
For those who know me, yes, I do cook on occasion.
I have included some photos that were taken on the Yucatan Peninsula just for effect.
I've never been able to make the soup the way it is prepared here, but then I don't have the sand, surf, salt spray, and that hot, hot sun.
I hope you enjoy it and will let me know if you actually did prepare the soup and what you thought. Experiment with the ingredients to make it to your liking.
Yucatan Lime Soup
1 chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes or shredded
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c. vegetable oil or more (for stronger taste I use sesame oil)
8 corn tortillas, cut into 1/2 inch strips
3/4 c. finely chopped white or yellow onion
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 c. seeded, chopped tomatoes
1 Tbsp. minced Serrano chiles (don't touch your nose or eyes after chopping)
4 c. chicken stock
3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (or more)
1/4 cup cilantro (more for garnish)
1 lime, cut into thin slices (for garnish)
avocado, diced (for garnish)
Season the chicken with the cumin and 1/4 tsp. salt and set aside. (Sometimes I use a rotisserie chicken) Heat 1/2 c. of oil over high heat. Fry tortilla strips until golden brown. Drain. Salt.
Add onion to remaining oil (no more that 2 tsp. of oil) Add a dash of each:
paprika
salt
garlic powder
black pepper
onion powder
cayenne pepper
dried oregano
dried thyme
Saute until soft.
Add chicken, garlic, tomatoes, and chilies.
Saute about 3-4 minutes.
Add stock and lime juice.
Simmer 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 c. cilantro.
Place 1 lime slice in each soup bowl and ladle soup on top.
Top with avocado, tortilla stips, and more cilantro.
Yummy soup for a chilly autumn day.
ENJOY !

20 Comments:

Blogger Margie said...

Beautiful pics.
Thanks for the visit to my blog!
I see you are in CO. too!
Far away from Co. Spgs?
This looks like a great recipe!
Thanks for sharing it!

9/19/2006 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I am not a big soup eater but this sounds really good, I will definately have to try it.
Thanks for sharing.

9/19/2006 10:33:00 AM  
Blogger G said...

Ooh nice pictures and a recipe - doesn't look like you need my help around here! I am going to print this one and share it with my husband who does most, alright all of the cooking. It sound delicious.

9/19/2006 11:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YUM. That sounds sooo good.

9/19/2006 11:36:00 AM  
Blogger Susan in va said...

The only ingredients that I'm missing are the chiles, the avocado, and....the lime! I wonder how Yucatan Lime Soup tastes without the Lime? I guess if it weren't important, it wouldn't be in the title. Poo.

9/19/2006 12:09:00 PM  
Blogger Another Chance Ranch said...

Well shoot! I am sitting in the computer lab at school reading this recipe that sounds just delish!! I am making it that is for sure!! Now I am starving!

I love the photos! Swampy, you certainly have become quite the globber! :) I am so proud of you!

Thanks for sharing!!

9/19/2006 12:48:00 PM  
Blogger Another Chance Ranch said...

Well shoot!!! I did a really good comment and then it disappeared! Darn it! Oh well. Here I go again with it.

The photos are lovely! I sure wish I were there right now.

And I am certainly trying the recipe! Susan - you crack me up, yea I think the lime might, just might be important. :) It sounds wonderful!!!

I know my first response was much better than this, but I can't duplicate it for the life of me. :)

9/19/2006 12:51:00 PM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

Samuru99: I'm over the mountains and through the woods from Colorado Springs.

Michelle: It is a light soup but with tons of flavor.

G: I need all the help I can get. And good job with having the hubby do all the cooking.

KellyF: Yes, it is U-mmm U-mmm Good.

Susan: Well, I guess you could re-name it:
Yucatan Limeless Chicken Soup

Julie: Thanks for all your support. Your "glob" certainly was a motivating factor for me. Not to mention, all your personal tutoring. As you can tell, I'm working on it, but have a very long way to go. And somehow your first comment made it past Globbers sticky fingers.

9/19/2006 01:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I`ll add fish t' that soup on accoun' o' chickens dasn't fare well on ships.

Th' pictures make me homesick. Thar`s nay salt on me cheeks though
Ya horn swogglin' landlubber!

9/19/2006 01:50:00 PM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

KatieT: I hope you are having some luck with your computer problems. And I thought it was bad that my speakers aren't speaking.

Red Mary Flint: Like I said earlier today, "The beatings will continue until morale improves."
...And you will eat chicken if I say so.

9/19/2006 02:17:00 PM  
Blogger Minka said...

I donæt believe it but this is a recipe where I cna get all the ingredients here on thsi island. Wow.
I might actually try this one!

9/19/2006 04:37:00 PM  
Blogger Susan in va said...

Did you know that September 19 was "International Talk Like A Pirate Day"?

9/19/2006 06:05:00 PM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

AARR Matey Susan...Ahoy to you...
c'mere me fellow blogger to me pirateglobbership...me hearties to see what crawls outta me bunghole...mebbe some grog and lime soup...here we specialize in Mayhem and Madness...where the beatins shall continue 'til morale improves...
Avast....AARRRRR

9/19/2006 06:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ARRR, you swashbuckler, you! Care to guess me real name?

9/19/2006 06:26:00 PM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

DirtyBessCash: Well,I think I know WHERE you are. I won't say exactly, because I have your lats and longs,and won't give away that location, but are you somewhere northeast of Wichita?

9/19/2006 06:42:00 PM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

DirtyBessCash: Might 'yor be the Pirate Susan in VA, perhaps?
AAARRR !!

9/19/2006 09:49:00 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

This is very similiar to my chicken tortilla soup that is our christmas eve tradition

soooo yummy

I missed out on a day of pirate talk... sigh

9/19/2006 10:16:00 PM  
Blogger Susan in va said...

You caught me red charity rackham!

9/20/2006 03:54:00 AM  
Blogger RedNeckGirl said...

That sounds so Yummy!!!

9/20/2006 08:54:00 AM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Ohhh yum! Thank you!

9/20/2006 02:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home