Friday, September 15, 2006

Hanstory #3




YOUR IMAGES ARE BEING UPLOADED TO BLOGGER (GLOBBER)
DONE
YEAH, RIGHT !
Use your Visusal/Spatial Intelligence and imagine a picture here.
A picture of a man's feet in orange crocks.
The caption says:
"Where are my shoes and socks
I do not want to wear David's orange crocks."


They (whoever they are) say that communication is an important part of developing, having, keeping, etc. a good relationship.

One aspect in communicating is the process of questioning and answering. I ask a question, he gives an answer. He asks a question, I give an answer. In most cases, the answer should be somewhat relevant to the question, I think. But, who am I to question or answer ?

Background info: Sometimes he will wear a nicely laundered and ironed shirt to the office. If he’s going to work outside the next day, he will wear that same shirt. Fine by me. So, that evening, he’ll hang / drape the shirt on anything but a hanger. He has done this for years. It’s a pattern. I know not to put the shirt in the dirty clothes hamper.

Yesterday I noticed a pair of socks draped over the vacumn cleaner handle. I wasn’t sure if the socks had been worn or not. And even if they had, this is one of the places where he “saves” his shirts to wear again, so I'm thinking maybe he wants to wear the socks again. Fine by me.

Later that day:

I asked, “Do you want me to wash (warsh) these socks or are you going to wear them again?”

He said, “No.”

I asked, “No what ?”

He said, “Just no.”

I asked, “Do you want me to put these in the wash (warsh) now, or do you want to wear them ?”

He said, “Those are my white socks.”

The last time I checked, I wasn’t color blind and am still able to distinguish socks from other articles of clothing.
My ears start to ring and my left eyelid is twitching again. I suppress the desire to raise my voice. Breathe. Count. Breathe. Count. (He's not hard of hearing. He's just not listening.)


(Classroom Control 203 kicks in…questioning techniques. Do not ask a two-part question to students who cannot solve “If this . . . Then what ?" )

I ask, “Do you want me to wash (warsh) these socks ?”

He asks, “Why wouldn’t I ?”

Now he’s answering my question with a question of his own.

I say, “Because they were hanging on the vacumn cleaner handle and when you hang your shirts there, it means you want to wear it them again.”

He says, “But those are my SOCKS.”

Note to self :
Learn to decipher the code. Determine what article of clothing that’s draped over the vacumn cleaner handle is to be worn again or to be washed (warshed) ?

Moral of the story: There isn't one.
Just two questions:
I ask, “Where are your shoes and socks ?”
He answers, “Whose on first ?”


At this point, had Gobber published my picture, the moral and the picture would have tied this all together. So, this post makes about as much sense as the above 'conversation.'

10 Comments:

Blogger Susan in va said...

Yeah! What's on second and He's on third! Makes you want to ask Why - but he's in left field....no, wait....He's on third...

Your husband is a funny guy - in a "wanna ring his neck" kind of way! This post had me laughing out loud!

9/16/2006 08:24:00 AM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

And we were talking about "Huh?" (line from Chicken Little)

This was a hilarious post - only because I could just picture you two! I was given some good advice once: When in doubt, throw it in the laundry. Smelling underwear to see if it is clean is NOT a good idea!

I would say the same goes for socks.

9/16/2006 11:10:00 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

I am so thankful that I no longer have to wash (warsh) anyone's laundry but my own and Lily's.....

And it was a big deal in our home when I was growing up not to answer a question with a question. In fact, my Da would fine us a quarter whenever we did that.

So, tell the guy he owes you some moola.

9/16/2006 11:34:00 AM  
Blogger SongBird said...

Funny, funny post!!

9/16/2006 02:25:00 PM  
Blogger G said...

Now I don't feel so bad that I am often left between two distinct urges of either scratching my head or screaming at similar interactions in my house. That was most enjoyable - very funny.

9/16/2006 03:32:00 PM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

Very funny! What is it with men, do the majority of them have a phobia w/ hangers? Because my husband avoids them at all costs.

9/16/2006 06:36:00 PM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

I went to B-ville today and shopped myself silly :)

Great town, I bet you miss it (somewhat!)

Do you ever come back and visit?

I live about 40 minutes from B-ville and usually shop there ( I have no good shopping where I live!)

9/16/2006 06:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when my husband and i were first married, he did the same thing. so one day i decided to take every single article of clothing he owned out of the closet and/or drawers, and i threw it all into the middle of our bedroom. when he came home he walked into the room, looked around and said "i don't understand". i told him it seemed to me that's where he preferred his belongings, since he NEVER hung up and/or bothered to use the hamper, so i just put everything where he could easily find it. he cleaned up (okay, i helped) and we never had that problem again. (we've been happily married for over 21 years)

great story! and i'm enjoying your blog (i've noticed your comments on a few of the other blogs we both read and thought i should check you out. so glad i did!) xox

9/16/2006 08:44:00 PM  
Blogger Silly Hily said...

That was so funny. I love your stories, even if blogger doesn't cooperate with the pics.
Isn't it funny how you had to resort to how you were taught to deal with 2nd graders?
I thought the eye twitching thing was esp. funny for some reason.

9/18/2006 12:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you were listening in on me, LOL!

Mine doesn't hang things on the vacuum (he doesn't go near the vacuum), but on furniture throughout the house, on the floor of course, and worst of all, he puts his USED clothing on top of my CLEAN clothes that are neatly folded on MY dresser. He doesn't understand limits...

9/25/2006 11:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home