Friday, September 15, 2006

Logical / Mathematical Intelligence

This picture represents one aspect of the Logical/Mathematical Intelligence.
It is the continuing saga of an earlier post. (See August Archives: Hanstory #2)
Today's Lesson Plan:
Logical/Mathematical Intelligence
(Number Smart)
Objective:
--to learn that too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve.
The logical/mathematical person:
--recognizes and understand patterns
--follows multi-step instructions
--reasons well and abstractly
--thinks systematically
--classifies and categorizes data
--thinks without images
--organizes "things" in an effective manner
Activity:
THINK TANK TIME* (from my fourth grade curriculum) (directions follow)
1. ABC, BCD, CDE, ____ , _____, ______
2. a+a = 6 a+b= 14 b=____
3. math add subtract multiply
4. up: down :: hot: ________
5. 7 * D in a W _____________
6. If all elephants have trunks, and Dumbo is an elephant, then
__________________________________________.
7. Mary is taller than Jane. Jane is taller than Sue. Rita is taller than Jane
but shorter than Mary. List the names from shortest to tallest:
8. COF FEE
9.
roo_
_oat
so_e
fro_
Directions:
1. sequence / pattern (what comes next)
2. a and b values (3rd grade algebra)
3. what word doesn't belong and why not
4. analogy
5. how does the number relate to the letters (Pun)
6. syllogism
7. list in order
8. wuzzle
9. same missing letter in all four words
Logical - Mathematical "Kid" Quote:
"If it wiggles, it's biology...if it smells, it's chemistry...if it doesn't work, it's physics.
Logical - Mathmatical "Adult" Quote:
"A short cut is the longest distance between two points."
*THINK TANK TIME was a daily activity posted on a bulletin board. Each student had a notebook specifically for TTT. On Friday, all 5 TTT were discussed with all possible answers.
Many students created their own TTT to be posted on the bulletin board.
It was always amazing how creative these students were. We were having fun and learning at the same time.

13 Comments:

Blogger Minka said...

Ah, I think I see how you stumbled on my blog :) Hi Brian *waves frantically*

I studies Multiple intelligences by Gardner when I did my teahcing degree.
I realized I am a logical/spatial sorta gal, more than a verbal/artistic one. I always knew.

The type of examples you showed are much used for intelligence tests, which focuses more on teh logical aspect than anything else in my view!

9/15/2006 06:52:00 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Off topic but at your request Swampwitch:

Here's how to leave a link to another blog or an article in the comment section of a post:

http://www.myrepublicanblog.blogspot.com

If you want to link to a specif article, go to the "archives" section of another blog and use the url (blog address) at the top of the page.

Hope this helps!

9/15/2006 07:42:00 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Ooops! Sorry, you need to put the / at the end (at least this has always worked for me:

http://www.myrepublicanblog.blogspot.com/

If it doesn't work here, I don't know what to think. It works on the comment section of my blog. It's possible it only works in Haloscan.

9/15/2006 07:58:00 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Okay, it seems it only works in Halo Scan. You need someone who uses blogger to help you with this. Sorry!

9/15/2006 07:59:00 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

What an interesting post.
Math is my career, art is my pasion.
Have a great weekend.

9/15/2006 10:13:00 AM  
Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

oh my, I got dizzy reading all that, lol. but, I am 'braindead' today.

I love your name 'swampwitch' very cool. I read your 'about me' and got a chuckle...about your cell phone and VCR clock flashing 12:00, you'd fit in perfect at my home :)

9/15/2006 10:36:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks so much for dropping by and leaving a comment. Come back anytime.

9/15/2006 11:10:00 AM  
Blogger Old Dominion Heather said...

An off topic question: Is your name "swampwitch" related to Miss Nelson is Missing? (Miss Swamp?) and if so, is your first name Viola?

My oldest ds is mathematical/logical. He started making patterns before he was two. I asked him once when he was three "Which is better, a good story or a good pattern?" His reply, "A good pattern!" was delivered with a look of smug satisfaction.

9/15/2006 11:13:00 AM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

Brian: Keep on writing...looking forward to the next chapter.

Minka: Hi "waves frantically"...You are correct about the intelligence tests, fortunately with the 8 MI, test makers are "trying" to make them better if that's possible. I was never a big believer in the scores.

Gayle: Thank you for continuing to tutor me through this. What is HaloScan?

Michelle: My posts are random, but periodically I have the urge to play school teacher and for fun post a Lesson Plan using Gardner's 8 Multiple Intelligences.

BarnGoddess: Welcome for the first time. Sorry I made you "dizzy"...have a nice weekend.

JuneBugg: Thanks...I enjoy your blog but I don't always post a comment.

OldDominionHeather: I appreciate your curiosity and your questions. My name Swampwitch refers to a product that I manufacture. I'm not Viola but I assume she may be a school teacher somewhere. How old is your son now and does he still like logical/mathematical activities. I love it: "delivered a look of smug satisfaction."

9/15/2006 11:41:00 AM  
Blogger Susan in va said...

I love patterns, I love math, I love quizzes, I love this post! Thanks for wakin' up my brain - who needs caffeine? This is fun!

9/15/2006 01:38:00 PM  
Blogger M J said...

I'm gonna have to play hookie from this class and go to the beach.

Ahh highschool. Good times.

9/15/2006 10:27:00 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

oh, boy...I feel...twitterpated! Math is definitely not my strong point. I can usually get it...but I have to sit and think about it!!

9/15/2006 10:33:00 PM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

Susan: And I remember a long time ago, well last month, you were concerned about how to receive extra credit in this class. Look at you now. Just loving it !

MJ: I'd rather be at beach, too. Just too long of a drive for me.

C: Twitterpated ! I love it. A verbal/linguistic activity: Vocabulary builder.

9/16/2006 06:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home