Saturday, August 26, 2006

Musical / Rhythmical

Musical: agreeable, assonant, choral, euphonic, euphonious
harmonious, lyrical, mellow, melodic, melodious,
pleasing, symphonic, tonal, tuneful, unisonant, vocal

Rhythmical: flow, movement, regular recurrance as of beat,
rise, and fall; regular recurrance of strong and
weak beats

Toward the end of my career, I used music EVERYDAY, no
matter what subject I taught. When my students entered the
classroom, some type of music was playing. We started with
Beethoven's Fifth Symphony. These were middle school students,
and they were NOT impressed. For three days, that was our
"theme song." I gave them bits and pieces of information about
the composer: He was born in Germany and studied under
Mozart. About 1800 he was slowly becoming deaf. This did not
stop him. To hear his own compositions, he sawed the legs off
his piano and placed it flat on the floor. He pressed his ear to the
floor and would bang on the keys to hear what he had composed.
By 1820 he had composed his greatest works. Some of my students
were motivated enough to continue the research. Most of them
wanted to hear more of Beethoven's compositions. A few were in
the office asking for "drop this class forms."

After several weeks of listening to other genres of music, Mariah
asked, "When are we going to listen to Beethoven's Fifth
Sympathy again."

Later in the year, Jason asked, "Was it Taco Bell who composed
'Canon Indeed?'

My students may not have had all the names of the composers
or their compositions exactly correct, but the majority of them
developed a new respect for many types of music.

I love music, but I can't carry a tune in a bucket.
(What does that mean?)
If a group asked me to sing "back-up" they would very quickly
ask me to "back-way-up."

My daughters cringe if I start humming or singing with the radio,
followed by a very loud, "Mom, stop !"

I'm sure when I sang "hush -little - baby" to them they were
thinking, "hush - little - mamma."

Today Objectives: Share a song / artist that you enjoy.
Choose a different genre to listen to for the
next several days . . . include your children
in this exercise.

10 Comments:

Blogger Susan in va said...

You will appreciate my sons' favorite songs:

5 year old: Rimsky-Korsakoff's Flight of the Bumblebee. Before I told him what the name of the piece was, he and his brother began "flying" around the room pretending to be "bees". I was astonished!

7 year old: Rossini's William Tell Overture. Maybe he got this from an old Bugs Bunny re-run, but it still cracks me up all the same. Every time he hears this song, he yells "CHARGE" at just the right time. I love it.

I will play some classics for my two year old and get back to you on her favorite.

8/26/2006 04:44:00 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I've been listening to smooth jazz alot lately.

I came from a family of singers... and my daughters sing.

Once I figure out audio I am going to post a lullaby that I have no idea where it came from.. but my mom sang to us, I've sung to my kids, and now they sing to theirs.

ps. I have a post about Delta Colorado out on my blog --- sort of for you

8/26/2006 06:40:00 PM  
Blogger willowtree said...

Don't worry about me, I'll just jump in when I feel confident.

8/26/2006 09:18:00 PM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

Great assignment.

I listen to EVERYTHING (except gangster rap and hardcore heavy metal - and I don't particularly like the new pop music either).

But - Vivaldi is a personal favorite (although his work has been deemed "simple" by many.)

I especially love it when different artists record a popular song and change it around (and it is good!)

for example: Eva Cassidy redid Sting's Fields of Gold. Mary Coughlan remade Bonnie Raitt's I Can't Make You Love Me. Lisa Loeb remixed Van Halen's Jump. These are all awesome!!! They turned the song into their own.

So, I'll take your assignment and tomorrow my children and I will listen to something different...

8/26/2006 11:15:00 PM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

Susan: The William Tell Overture and Flight of the Bumblebee were 2 songs my students loved. And they, too, would "fly" around the room pretending to be "bees." Nothing like 24 middle school kids loose in a classroom flying around.

Pamela: When you figure out the audio-thing, I'll put you in touch with my former (computer guru) student or Swampwitch Spawn, and let them help me.

Willowtree: Hope you'll stop by periodically. There won't be an assignment every day, I promise.

Karmyn R: Thanks for the two new songs...haven't heard them yet. There is a new version of
Somewhere over the Rainbow / It's a Beautiful World... sung by a Japanese (?) artist. Do you do who that is?

Look forward to hearing back from all of you.

8/27/2006 06:15:00 AM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

Dear Library Goddess: I am so sorry about your loss... thank you for sharing your song with us. I've not heard it, but by the end of the day, I will. Music is such a powerful force in our lives. I hope this is one way to help heal your heart. I'm sure you may see future posts from your "new glob friends" who will suggest songs that have done the same for them.

8/27/2006 08:49:00 AM  
Blogger Debs said...

I love music. I listen to everything except rap. My favorite classical piece is Pachelbel's Cannon in D. There is almost always music playing in my house. From TV, Stereo, or my daughter playing her Clarinet.

My son has participated at school in "Music Memory". He has done very well and prefers classical music over anything else. Unlike my daughter who prefers country or pop. *LOL*

Librarygoddess I like Nickel Creek :) I am not sure if I have heard the song, but by the end of day I will.

8/27/2006 01:43:00 PM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

TQFlasher: To answer your question about which Multiple Intelligence that smells bringing back memories would fit under, I would have to guess The Olfactory Intelligence.

Debs: Canon in D is also one of my favorites. My daughter and her husband had it played at the wedding.

Library Goddess: Today's photos (see above) were posted for you:

"Your memory's the sunshine every new day brings."

8/27/2006 11:56:00 PM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

KATIE T: Thanks for the sharing your experience about being a rock star singing Bob Marley songs on a Fisher Price radio.

8/30/2006 01:57:00 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

Hi Swampwitch, I'm trying to catch up!! Lately, it's been a lot of radio...but I agree with Kamryn..love Vivaldi!! Another one that brings me to another world is the soundtrack from the movie Amelie.

9/01/2006 10:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home