Friday, August 25, 2006

Multiple Intelligences vs. Multiple Personalities

At some point in my career, I discovered
Howard Gardner's Multiple Intelligence Theory.
(Here is where the link would be if I knew how to do that.)
There are 8 Multiple Intelligences (MI) and I have added three of my own.
The MI Theory became an integral party of my life and not just at school.
I lived and breathed it. . . so much, that my husband labeled them my
8 Multiple Personalities. Actually, he didn't miss it by much.
In order to introduce them on my GLOB, I will share some of my favorite
comments paired with each Intelligence :

Logical / Mathematical:
If I die before doing everything on my list,
to whom should I leave my list?

Verbal / Linguistic:
Words are a powerful form of communication,
but they will never replace kisses and punches.

Musical / Rhythmical:
I march to the beat of a different drummer whose
location, identity, and musical training haven't
yet been established.

Bodily / Kinesthetic:
I knew something was wrong the minute you
bit my nose.

Interpersonal:
There's no room in this argument for both of us,
unless you move over just a little.

Intrapersonal:
Would you rather be in my mood or have me
come into yours?

Naturalistic:
At what point in my struggle with the tumbleweeds
will the tumbleweeds finally give up?

Visual / Spatial:
The only real world is the world seen by children.

Male Intellect: Quick ! Call the witch doctor !
My witch is sick !
(and in our case, a swampwitch doctor)

Female Intellect: My theory on housework: If the item
doesn't multiply, smell, catch on fire, or block the
refrigerator door, let it be.
No one else cares. Why should I?

Humor / Quick Wit: _________________________
( fill in the blank)

I will expound on this subject later. You've had enough for
today.

Today's Objective: Try to categorize your activities or
your children's activities into the different MI's.

11 Comments:

Blogger Another Chance Ranch said...

Oh man! Another assignment.

Nice avatar!! Did you think no one would notice?

8/25/2006 04:42:00 PM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

I fall into a mix of the "Female Intellect/logical" - that's why my list never gets done!!!

8/25/2006 06:31:00 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I'm going to review this again tomorrow. It's 11, and I have to make a salad for a wedding dinner tomorrow for a friend.

Friday was a wild ride. I knew something was wrong the minute you
bit my nose.

8/25/2006 11:05:00 PM  
Blogger Susan in va said...

Ooh fun! I'm going to attempt to do this!

(How much will this count toward our final grade?)

8/26/2006 06:07:00 AM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

Julie: Yes, a little assignment (See my comment to Susan) but you will love doing it. For fun, just list the Intelligences on a
post-it-note to keep handy. During the day, whatever you're doing, decide which of the intelligences it fits into. Some activities will fit into several different Intelligences.
AVATAR...yes, that's the word I was trying to think of. I knew it sounded something like aviator.

Karmyn R: Good for YOU ! You have identified one of your learning styles. You have many more. Think about what they are.


Pamela: It's just fine to "postpone" your assignment to enjoy the wedding for your friend. Be sure to remember what songs were sung / played so you can list them under your Musical/Rhythmical
category to share with us next week.

Library Goddess: It's never too late to incorporate...Create an outline listing all the Intelligences, then categorize all your activities under each (some will fit many places) For each concept you are teaching, make sure that you have used all the MI so that all your students have been reached through their strengths. Teach to your student's weakness through their strengths. MI will help you identify both.

Susan: I love your enthusiasm and that your interested in your grade. For now all "my students" have A's so don't worry so much about your grade. Just have fun for now. This is just an orientation for you to decide if you want to enroll in the course.

To All Students: This week, list all MI and write you own favorite saying under each to share anytime you want to as I did in my post.

Have Fun ! Welcome to

SWAMPWITCH'S MULITPLE PERSONALITY
CLASS

I hope to enroll more, so tell your friends, especially teachers, parents, and those who home school I have a plethora of ideas for them to use.

Oh yes, when you see a spelling, grammar, etc. mistake I've made...please tell me about it.

8/26/2006 07:25:00 AM  
Blogger Old Dominion Heather said...

Bodily/Kinesthetic: (seventh grade style) Put that desk down! Do you really want to have to spend your days at in-school detention?

8/26/2006 07:30:00 AM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

Heather: Wonderful !! You started your assignment BEFORE you even knew what it was... See my post just about your post for details.

8/26/2006 07:43:00 AM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

Heather: My post to you made no sense at all...It was meant to say:
See my post above for details...

8/26/2006 08:28:00 AM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

Julie: I forgot to tell you that SwampWitch's Spawn was able to put my avatar by my posts. I haven't learned how to do that yet, but hopefully, next week Mr. Parker can teach me.

8/26/2006 08:39:00 AM  
Blogger Debs said...

I found this very interesting and entertaining. So I will post my results later today when I get things catagorized. I guess that does anwer one....Logical/Mathmatical. :)

8/26/2006 01:04:00 PM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

Deb: YUP, you've already started categorizing . . .

8/27/2006 06:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home