Thursday, August 31, 2006

Visual / Spatial Intelligence




Today's Lesson Plan: Visual/Spatial Intelligence (Art Smart) :

OBJECTIVE: to learn to look at "things" in a different way

The Visual/Spatial Person:
---perceives what is around and translates it . . . creates and transforms mental imagery . . .
manipulates objects to see them from a different perspective . . .


Reading Activity*:

Sometimes your mind is
is quicker than your eye.
What do you think might be the
the funny thing about this paragraph?
Do you usually make the
the same mistake twice?


A PURPLE STORY **

Every child is an artist.
The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.
-----Pablo Picasso

In first grade, Mr. Lohr said my purple tepee wasn't
realistic enough, that purple was NO color for a tent.
That purple was a color for people who died. That
my drawing wasn't good enough to hang with the
others. I walked back to my seat counting the
swish-swish-swish of my baggy corduroy trousers.
With a black crayon, nightfall came to my purple
tent in the middle of an afternoon.
In second grade, Mrs. Winters said, "Draw anything."
She didn't care what. I left my paper blank, and
when she came around to my desk, my heart beat
like a tom-tom. She touched my head with her hand
and in a soft voice whispered, "The snowfall. How
clean and white and beautiful."

We must remember not to add to the destruction by
breaking a child's spirit.

Visual/Spatial Child's Quote:
"If you're going to draw on the wall, do it behind the couch."

Visual/Spatial Adult's Quote:
"If you can't fix it, VISUALIZE it."


In the first activity, did your eyes get ahead of
your brain?
How many times did you read the word:

IS ? 2 times ?
THE? 4 times ?


6 Comments:

Blogger Claudia said...

I love the story! And I missed the second is!! Again, beautiful pictures!!!

9/01/2006 11:11:00 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I'm reading with out my glasses so there were alot of words I read twice. ô¿ô

reading blogs from out of town..
got other things I HAVE to do now, too.

See you later.

Loved the hummers

9/01/2006 12:33:00 PM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

Nice reminder to let each chidl beat to his/her own drum!!!

OH - I have another tidbit for you...instead of writing your Draft posts in blogger - use another program, like Word, to write it out. That way when Blogger has a puke, your draft isn't lost. When you are ready to post - just copy and paste it into the blogger compose section.

This way, when you've spent so much time on a great story, it won't get lost if Blogger has a problem!

9/01/2006 01:12:00 PM  
Blogger Debs said...

I love hummer pics :)

The story was so touching. My sis was in first grade, had a teacher critize her "people" she drew. She drew big circle for the body, smaller circles for the arms, even smaller circles for the hands and fingers. Teacher said it was not "normal". What is normal anyway? *LOL*

My mom told her there was no wrong way to draw people and to keep doing what felt right to her :)

9/01/2006 01:19:00 PM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

C: Most people miss the IS and all the THE's.

PAMELA: Glad you liked the hummingbirds. Put your glasses on, no tellin' what you'll see.

KARMYNR: I love it...a GLOBBERpuke.
Thanks for the advice. I have composed in Word and moved it over, but haven't had any luck getting my photos to post with the text. Do you post the photo first?or does it make any difference?
Too bad some adults don't let children beat their own drum and march to their own beat.

DEBS: Your mom was so right-on-target. It's amazing how an adult can squelch a child's creative spirit with just one statement.

TO ALL: Please don't abandon me...I may not be able to post back until the first of next week.

9/01/2006 03:44:00 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

What a lovely story! Mrs. Winters was the kind of teacher every child should have.

Thanks for visiting my blog today. Yours is most interesting and I'll be back.

And your dogs and sunrises are beautiful!

9/04/2006 08:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home